|Masi Magam Festival|
|Taking the Holy Dip on Masi Magam|
Sri Kalyana Sundarareswarar Temple, Nallur
Sthala Vruksham: Vilvam
Theertham: Saptha sagaram [seven seas]
• The miracle here is colour of the deity changes its color five times during daytime as Copper, Light red, Molten gold, Emerald and Multicolor for every 2 hours and 20 minutes and so the name Panchavarneswarar. Research has been done for colour change but the reason is still unknown.
The timings for the Lingam colour changes are as under:
- 6 AM to 8.24 AM - Copper Colour
- 8.25 AM to 10.48 AM - Light Red [Sunrise Colour]
- 10.49 AM to 1.12 PM - Molten Gold Colour
- 1.13 PM to 3.36 PM - Emerald Green
- 3.37 PM to 6 PM - A colour the Devotee has in mind and wants to see.
- The Middle portion alternates between shades of blue and green. This part is somewhat rough and has small spot-like holes in them.
- The lower portion remains black at all times.
• Arunagirinadhar sang Thirupugazh
• It is believed Lingam starts from the land and ends at the top of the mount
• It said that the Jada mudi of lord Shiva is present at the back of temple, so we are not allowed to make a full round. Oblations to the manes take places here.
• The lingam has many holes across. Sage Bringi, an ardent devotee of Siva, was not ready to worship the Goddess. So he took the form of vandu [bee family] and worshipped Shiva alone by flying around Him. Hence there are small holes on the Shiva linga. Vaalakilya munivar performed thapas as vandu (beetle) in the holes and attained mukthi here.
• Kundhi devi got rid of her curse by taking a dip in the Saptha Sagaram Theertham on a Masi magam day.
• Muchukundha Chakravarthi who belongs to Dwaparayuga, the third yuga, has worshipped here.
• Amarneethi Nayanar, his wife and son were sanctified here
|Lord Shiva-Parvathi Devi & Brahma-Vishnu in the Background|
About the Temple
• This is a 4 acre temple with 3 praharams and 5 tier rajagopuram
• In the garbhagraha, at the back of main lingam we can see sudai sculpture of Lord Shiva and Parvathi devi together in bridal form along with Brahma and Vishnu
• There are shrines for Kailasa Ganapathi, eight lingas, sapthamathas, Kasi vinayagar, 63 Nayanmars and Natarajar
• Koshta moorthies are Dhakshnamoorthy, Sattanathar, Murugan, Mahalakshmi and Durga
• Ashtapuja Kali with 8 arms is present in the south prahaaram of this temple. According to Bujandar naadi, Sri Maha Kali who was responsible for defending this region against the invasion of Malik Kafoor is glowing with Her divine presence here. Worshipping Her on Fridays and Ashtami is believed to absolve many doshams of devotees.
• In this Shiva temple we can see Narasimha idol in the Vimanam.
• One of the maada temples of the Chola king Kochengat
Sri Kalyana Sundarareswarar Temple, Nallur, is located at a distance of 10 kms from Kumbakkonam; It lies in the route between Paapanasam and Kudavasal in Thanjavur District and about 10 to 15 min. from Pateeswaram.
Evening: 4 pm to 7 pm
Contact: Sri S Kannan[Pichai] Gurukkal
Phone: 04374 222863